Rather worrying - private firms taking over policing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rather worrying - private firms taking over policing

Why am I not surprised Surrey Police - the UK's most bent force - are up to their necks in this?

There is a plan to hand over certain policing roles to private companies, like G4S. The aim being, well, not in our interests anyway. Imagine you being on the SOR being known to all and sundry without there being any recourse should that information be leaked. I may hate the police, but at least there are safeguards to prevent my past being sold to the highest bidder in the local pub.

The first time I get a private company turning up at my doorstep in place of Register Plod, they will find their ears ringing with the words "Feck Off" and physically manhandled in order for me to slam the door.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17242956
    Last edited by LS; 3 March 2012, 01:35 AM.

I fear that this is just one more step down the road; does anyone remember the 'Dixen of Dock Green' age of policing when the friendly local village policeman would call round to remind you that your TV or dog licence had expired? (in fact I don't, but there are ex-police houses in every village around here to remind of that 'golden' age)

Now we have Police Community Support officers, traffic wardens, highways agency motorway patrols, agency court staff, APNR, DVLA letters, not to mention all those existing civilian staff in the police force.

Back to topic; I have read, though not confirmed, that some forces are already using specially trained civilian staff for interviewing under caution rather than the arresting officers.

Looking into my crystal ball I can see trained and uniformed officers used for violent arrests and riot duties and everything else contracted out to a maze of agency staff.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Working...
    X