Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRB checks

Hello all,

Nearly 2 years ago some silly girl accused myself and a friend of raping her after a night out. It took 18 months to make it to court and after a 8 day trial a jury of 10 women and 2 men took just over 3 hours to find us NOT GUILTY.

But now I have heard that all this will still be on my film when CRB checks are being done. Could anyone conform or dismiss this for me?

Many thanks
    chris

Yes, it will show up -

have a look at http://www.daftmoo.org.uk/mooforum/s...ight=crb+check

if you look to the right - click on Advanced search and put crb check in. It'll bring up a lot of links for you to read.
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

RFLH is right unfortunately.
      You can try to get it cleared from your record. Some of our members have tried, with varying degrees of success.
      It would be very helpful for us if you could post up your story (no pressure if you don't want to!) to show some of our other members that sometimes a trial does arrive at the correct verdict.
      Thanks for finding us.

Comment

Thank you both for your reply.
        I actually first found this site when i was on bail back in 2010 and posted my story. I will repost it again, you may or may not remember my post. But stopped coming on here after we got charged. I was trying my best to not get too depressed. But those 18 months were a living hell. And even tho the trial finished back in sept 2011, i just forget sometimes that its over and quite often dream about being back in court. Not nice at all.
        But the reason I ask about the CRB checks is i am wanting to do some volunteering work for a local children's hospice. I have filled the application form in but not sent it back yet. Hopefully they will not hold this against me.

Chris

Comment

( my original post back in 2010 )

Ive been on this site a few times reading the advice others have been given, but have now decided to put my story on here and see if I can get any good advice.

On a night out with a friend in March, we met two young ladies in a local bar/club. After dancing and drinking for a while one of the females said she had to leave as her husband wanted her home. So me, my friend and the young lady that stayed with us continued to drink and dance. After a while we asked her if she wanted to come back to ours for some 'fun', she agreed and seemed very keen.
          After leaving the club and a short taxi ride home we arrived and my apartment, and entered my bedroom straight away, we all fell on the bed taking each others clothes off. She was giving my friend oral sex while I was playing with her. Me and my friend thought this was all a bit of a giggle, due to being drunk and the situation we was in.
          After about 30 mins or so the female started to make noises as if she was going to be sick. We've stopped, turned the light on and I've ran into the kitchen and got a bowl for her to be sick. After a few mins with her head over the bowl she started to cry. My friend and I asked her what was wrong and why she was crying, she told us that she was upset because her dad has terminal cancer. My grandad also have this, so I felt for her and told her about her grandad and tried to cheer her up a little. I gave her a hug and she did calm down slighty. But again after a few mins she became to cry, even worse than the first time. At this point I have left my bedroom and gone into the livingroom to get some sleep on the sofa. A couple of mins later my friend come in and said he asked the girl to leave and he had ordered her a taxi and seen her to the door. The next morning we both agreed that it was all a bit weird and we even joked that she might cry rape.

Two days later the CID knocked at my door and I was arrested for rape.
          I was kept in the cells for 32 hours and interveiwed twice.

The female told the police that after a drink, either me or a friend had given her, she cant remember anything untill waking up in a strange place with us standing over her laughing. She has sent a text to her friend from mine saying 'rape' and then when she left my apartment her mates have found her on a nearby road being violently sick.
          Her friends have been her to a 'safe house' only a few hours later, making sure she didnt have a bath or shower. And she told the police she was a virgin before all this.

Me and my friend who was involved were arrested at differnet times, as he works at the other side of the country. But my friends from Australia was staying at mine while all this was going on. He didnt go out that night but stayed at mine, not drinking and was awake when the three of us got back. He was staying in my spare room, directly above my room were we was. He heard everything, us coming in, her enjoying herself, being sick and then crying. He has given a statement to the police to that effect.

After the 32 hours in the cells they released us without charge, but on bail pending further equires.

If anyone could give me a advice on what they think the out come could be I'd be very greatful.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Fingers crossed that the record on the CRB won't hold you back...it depends how sensible the employers are. It may help to openly bring it up yourself...they are going to see it anyway, so best to hear it from you first. They may well respect your openness and honesty and give you a chance to press the fact that you were found by a UK jury of law to be NOT GUILTY.

Many employers should be fine with it; some will inevitably be on the 'no smoke without fire' bandwagon but who wants to work for people like that? Easy to say, I know. You could speak to a solicitor, like Saffron says, about having the record removed.

Re: posting your story. If you had the time/inclination, some people here may take reassurance from hearing the steps after charge to your acquittal so see that there is hope. i believe there's a thread on General Discussion of Rape called 'Why you are Here' (someone correct me if I have any details wrong!) I think it is going to be pinned to the top of the page and may be worth you writing there...only if you wanted to of course! It's always good to read the positive news.

Glad you got the right verdict. As you say, this will haunt you forever, it's not something that you will ever 'get over'
            Have you spoken to your GP about the dreams etc? Might be worth a visit.
            Hopefully you are getting your life back to some degree of normality and this whole thing has made you stronger. Kudos to you for volunteering at a children's charity
            "Be sure your sin will find you out"

Numbers 32:23

Comment

If you have a partner/wife they might need to check their ECRB. I say this because one of my clients was cleared on appeal. Two years later his partner applied to be a dinner lady and found that the allegations, charges, convictions and the fact he had been cleared on appeal was on HER ECRB check.

Many are still of the "No Smoke" brigade......
              People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                If you have a partner/wife they might need to check their ECRB. I say this because one of my clients was cleared on appeal. Two years later his partner applied to be a dinner lady and found that the allegations, charges, convictions and the fact he had been cleared on appeal was on HER ECRB check.
                My partner has been suspended from work even though no allegations have been against her and police have never spoken to her. I daresay it'll crop up on her ECRB too.
                What a cack system!

ALL part of the no smoke brigade there!!

Comment

Thanks again for your replies.
                  Faith, thats a good idea about me bringing this matter up to them first, before they see the CRB report. Fingers crossed they will see past it and understand that in todays world things like this happen, unfortunately.
                  And I can't believe this can show up on your partner/wife's ECRB as well. I really am going to fight and try my best to get this removed from my name. Why should i have to continue worrying about this for the rest of my working days. I have worried enough the last 18 months to last me 10 life times. And also my girlfriend is Australian. I wonder if I ever ended up wanting to move to Australia with her this would have an effect?
                  And I think i do need to have a chat with someone about my dreams. I also have trouble sleeping now. During the 18 months all this was going on I could never sleep. When i was in bed trying to sleep, would be when my brain would be running over time.. going through the night in question, statements, the what ifs'.. etc. My girlfriend keeps telling me to see someone about it.. But i guess im just a typical male and got a habit of just brushing it under the carpet! Silly me.

And I will take a look at that thread you mentioned.
                  Thanks
                  Chris

Comment

off to the doc's, if you don't look after yourself you're not going to be in full fighting form.
                    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

I'm with RFLH on this one (you do know what you're talking about sometimes )
                      You must get to your doctor; even though the main ordeal is over, the repercussions remain.
                      You may get some counselling or a course of sleeping tablets.

Comment

Thank guys.... And I will.

I was saying to my girlfriend how even tho we got found NOT guilty, the so called girl who put us through this will still be offered counselling. But yet we walked out of that court and nothing has been offered to us. I am not saying I need any counselling, I has been through a lot in my life already and feel I am pretty head strong, but going through something like that surely has to have an effect on you. And I read somewhere that someone wrongly accused of a crime like this, themselves are like a victim of rape. I just think maybe something should be offered to both sides after such an ordeal.

Chris

Comment

The system from start to finish is one sided. Doesn't look like it's ever going to change, sadly...

Comment

Okay this is bad news. My partner who has been through this ordeal has been offered a job at college. We havent received the crb yet but looks like it will be on there

How do we proceed if we want to get it cleared? And what could the costs be for this/ how long will it take?

Comment

I know nobody can truly answer the ":how much:" question but we have very little money and i doubt we will be able to afford that still hope there will be a way

Comment

Working...
                              X