Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depressed husband

Hi
    My husband has recently been diagnosed with depression and is on medication for the first week. I know that meds take a while to start working but I'm struggling with finding the patience dealing with his mood.
    I find that I'm starting to get upset myself at the situation which I'm sure isn't helping him to get better.
    He is in a job that he finds very boring and doesn't have much to do and I'm trying to help him find the positive but he just puts down everything I suggest.
    Please can you let me know if what I'm doing is right or if there is another way I can support him.
    I miss my husband and would do anything to get him back.
    Thanks

You're doing everything right, it's not you, it's him.

He's exhibiting all the same things I do - constantly bored, nothing is interesting, nothing is worth doing. He's not putting you down, it's that nothing is of interest.

I have plenty of things to do, but sitting down and working out what to do is a struggle due to depression. You think of one thing, then cross it off as boring/can't be bothered/too much effort, and think of another, and it's the same thing.
    In the end you just spend more time thinking of what to do, than actually doing anything. It's also a bit like ADHD, because whatever you can find interesting to do wears off in hours/days and the next thing you're back to square one.

I haven't managed to get past this, so I don't know what to advise except that it's not you.

Comment

If it is frustrating you them maybe you need to step back a little - i'm not saying don't support him, but after making a suggestion or two, maybe just leave it and go and do something else rather than persisting for so long you start to get angry or upset. You will be unable to make him change if he doesnt want to and you must look after yourself or you could become ill too.
      Perhaps if you can find a local support group then oyu wil have people with similar experiences to support you.
      Jo

Comment

Working...
      X