Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently aquitted- help with Social Services

Hi,

I'm new here - but I'll keep my story short, recently I got aquitted on all charges regarding an historic accusation of sexual abuse - the jury deliberated for 15 minutes and found me not guilty on all charges. I have had extensive involvement from social services because I have a young child. I was made to move out of the family home last year and have not been allowed to be alone with my daughter since.

At the end of the trial the judge commended the jury on making the right decesion and furthermore penned a letter to social services saying that absolutely nothing came out of the trial to suggest I was a danger to anybody and that he recommends soical services involvement with our family should be discontinued ASAP. Social services are meeting with the police today to discuss the outcome of the trial. But we are worried that the SS will continue to drag their feet as we have been told before the trial, that I would only be allowed home after I had been seen by a forensic pyscologist and risk assessed. Can anyone offer any advice or help?? Surely now I have been found not guilty I should be allowed back home.

thanks in advance

Hi & welcome,

I suppose the book answer is to obtain a transcript of the Judges remarks and confront the SS with this; however I understand from other member's comments on the forum that this might be prohibitively expensive.

Unfortunately as the SS have been hauled over the coals so many times through past errors, it is perhaps understandable that they are overly cautious now.

As you can obviously put pen to paper in a reasonably articulate fashion you may find that a carefully crafted letter to your MP detailing all the facts will work miracles

They can't and won't get involved with an ongoing case but once it's all dusted down, they should be happy to intervene with the SS on your behalf.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Thanks for the info, we actually have a handwritten letter from the judge, but the SS have a meeting with the police to discuss the outcome of the case, the judge actually said after the verdict had been delivered that he was recommending no further social services involvement and penned a letter there and then to that effect. Just worried now that the police will try and hamper that in someway, it's like waiting for trial all over again!

Comment

The letter from the judge should carry enough weight.

Perhaps the SS just want to clarify that the police intend to close the case i.e. that there are no other outstanding prosecutions against you waiting in the wings?
        'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

No they've nothing else on me, only been arrested once and that was for this.
          I was found not guilty unanimously, the police were made to look a bit stupid throughout, but I think its wrong that a police person who was a prosecution witness in the case should now be allowed to advise the SS.

Thanks

Comment

Update

Had a meeting with social services today, they completely ignored the letter from the judge and now want to put me through the same months long assesments and meetings. I'm writing to my MP and seeking further legal advice...they just will not stop grinding us down, I haven't lived at home for a while and feel like I'm waiting for trial all over again.

Comment

I'd be tempted to write to the Judge as well, I'm sure he'd be interested to know that the SS think their views more important than his are.
              And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Thanks for the advice I will do that.
                They are insisting on keeping my child on a protection plan

Comment

Would like to talk more

Hi Neverending,

I'm a freelance journalist/ master's student and I'm looking into false rape accusations for a sensitive, people-based, in-depth feature, and I'd love to talk to you more about your experience, especially considering the fact that you were unanimously acquitted. The fact that you were acquitted so quickly shows how obviously you were innocent and the flaws in a system that allows people to be accused in such a way, and how much of an effect it can have on someone's life.

Your anonymity would be assured throughout, and, as I said, the feature would deal with the issue very sensitively and with utmost respect.

Currently, I am working for The Independent (in an unrelated area), and this would be a possible place I would pitch my article to, although it would also form part of my master's dissertation. I also have contacts with the Mail on Sunday, so there's a possibility I would approach them.

To assure you of my credibility and authenticity, you can view my Journalisted profile at www.journalisted.com/steve-anderson and I can be reached on my official Independent email s.anderson@independent.co.uk.

I understand that, as a new member, I cannot send or receive private messages yet, but feel free to email or call me, I would really love to hear from you.

If you don't wish to talk to me, I understand, and all the best.

Steve

Contacts:
                  Email, work: s.anderson@independent.co.uk
                  Email, personal: stephenandersonmedia@gmail.com
                  Phone, work (between 10am-5.30pm): 0207 005 2318
                  (Mobile number given via email)

Comment

Working...
                  X