X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG update! - Please read

Hi guys and gals,

I've upgraded the forum to the latest version of the forum software and have done a big change in user permissions.
    The forum obviously looks quite different, and some things have moved around a bit and some things work a little differently. Please have an explore and get in touch if you can't get anything to work or can't work out where something has gone.

As part of the upgrade, I've also made a significant change to the operation of the forum. The old user titles of "New member", "Member" and "Senior Member" have gone. These were simply titles that increased based on your post count.
    They have been replaced by three groups with different permissions.
    This is in an effort to:
    • Make the life of spammers and time wasters as hard as possible,
    • Reduce the workload of the moderators and administrators,
    • Stop people registering on the forum then asking for help via PM instead of posting - Sorry, but this is a support forum, not a support team or organisation.
    • Reward those users who contribute that bit extra.

The new usergroups are:
    • "New member". Everyone is placed into this group when they first register. Also, everyone who does not meet the criteria for auto-promotion to the next group (see below) will now find themselves in this group.
      • Private messaging is disabled.
      • Visitor messaging is disabled.
      • Attachments are disabled.
      • Profile pictures, albums and avatars are disabled.
      • Signatures are disabled.
      • Most profile customisation is disabled.
      • User notes are disabled.
      • The ability to email other members is disabled.
      • Groups are disabled.
      • Users cannot post events to the calendar, although they can see what's on it.

After a "new member" has posted a minimum of 5 posts, AND has been a member for over 10 days, they will be automatically promoted to...
    • "Full Member". All existing members who do meet the criteria for auto-promotion (see above) will now find themselves in this group.
      • Private messaging is enabled. Maximum stored messages allowed = 100.
      • Visitor messaging is enabled.
      • Attachments are enabled. Maximum permitted storage for all attachments posted by one user = 2MB.
      • Profile pictures and avatars are enabled.
      • Albums are enabled. Maximum permitted images allowed = 200.
      • Signatures are enabled. Maximum permitted images allowed in a signature = 2.
      • Profile customisation is enabled.
      • User notes are enabled.
      • The ability to email other members is enabled.
      • Groups are enabled.
      • Users can post events to the calendar.

Membership of the last group is by invitation only. Users who are deemed by the moderators and administrators to be giving that bit extra to the forum and being very helpful etc will be promoted to this group. There are currently no members in this group - we are going to have a think over the next week and start promoting some users soon.
    • The last group is "Senior Member".
      • A new chat forum for senior members and mods/admins only is accesible.
      • The limit on stored private messages is increased to 300.
      • The limit on images in a signature is increased to 10.
      • The ability to use HTML in posts is granted.
      • They appear as a "forum leader".
      • They can modify their user title to anything they wish.
      • The limit on attachments is removed.
      • The ability to close their own thread is granted.

Firstly, I've done a lot of changes to the permissions and groups. I'm bound to have messed something up somewhere, not least because I managed to crash the whole forum site during the upgrade (oops!). If you spot anything amiss, please let me know.

Secondly, If you disagree with any of the above criteria and think anything should be changed, I'm all ears - please post your thoughts. I'm happy to change the above if needed.

Enjoy the upgraded forum. Many more features are in the pipeline, such as add-ons to spell check, save as draft, and a panic button, but for these you will have to wait a little longer. It's 1.15AM and I'm getting up again at 6.30...

Cheers!
    Last edited by webmoo; 13 October 2010, 08:54 PM.
    I'd diet but I'm not in the moooo-d

Well done, Moo. It's looking good.

Comment

Well Done Moo. All looks great.

Comment

Very good especially the following, about which I've had a 'bee in my bonnet' for some time

Quote <<<Make the life of spammers and time wasters as hard as possible,>>>Unquote

Edit...due to the day off, I forgot how to use the quote function!!
        Last edited by Casehardened; 10 August 2010, 10:14 AM.
        'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Stop people registering on the forum then asking for help via PM instead of posting

THANK YOU!!! If I have PM facility I will turn it back on unless it has already been done for me.

Looking good Moos! It shouldn't take too long for us to get used to the new bits!

People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Hi guys and gals,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I note there is a bug report thread in the "help" forum which I'll work my way through as fast as I can.

Cheers!
            Last edited by webmoo; 13 October 2010, 08:54 PM.

Comment

hi there

I did a post on the falsely accused section but it looks like it has been deleted, do you have to be changed to a full member before you can post by any chance?!

Thanks

Comment

I think it's 5 posts and ten days before you can start a new thread, although you can add posts.

Comment

ah right thats fair enough!! wish i had known that before i wrote my 'essay' it took me ages lol.

Next time i'll read the conditions first!!

Comment

May be worth writing it out in Word or Notepad and then copy+paste it in, as the Compose box is only open for so long. So you finish your essay, and press Submit Reply, only for Too Long Taken to come up. Think it's about 5 minutes!

Comment

Anyone can post. It would be impossible to get to a full member if you couldn'yt as one of the criteria is to have done 5 posts!

There is a limit to the length of a post but it will tell you if you have reached this and should not delete the text you have written.

The only way, as far as I know, that you can just 'loose' a post is if you wrote it then closed the browser without pressing "post" - sometimes by pressing preview to see what it looked like, but not actually pressing post afterwards. Either that or something went wrong with the code.

Sorry!

Comment

Working...
                      X