Cameron: "rape suspects may be indentified after being charged"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameron: "rape suspects may be indentified after being charged"

Seems they have taken a step back from anonymity until sentencing.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/828986-r...ameron-reveals
    "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Not so much a step back as a complete u-turn.

Oh well, looks I'll be voting Labour again at the first opportunity. So much for thinking this government were a wind of change. They seem to have a whiff of effluent, just like the last.
    First chance I get, I'm leaving. This country stinks.
    Last edited by LS; 24 June 2010, 03:50 PM.

Comment

It's far from ideal but still better than the old "name and shame as soon as someone is arrested" scenario.

Comment

I didn't think anyone actually names a suspect or anyone arrested until they've been charged.
        However, it's the fact CleggCam announced it, then decided to unannounce it. I'd like to do a u-turn on thinking they were a breath of fresh air.
        Effluent, I say, sh1t.

Comment

Rape defendant anonymity

Hi,

I am a reporter for BBC Radio One's Newsbeat programme.

I want to speak to people who have been falsely accused of rape, and who can talk about the impact it's had on their life.

It's for a radio feature I want to make, looking into the government's plans (or former plans if this talk of a u-turn's true) to bring in anonymity for rape defendants.

Please email me at dave.howard.01@bbc.co.uk with your details if you're interested in finding out more.

Best wishes,

Dave Howard
          BBC Radio One Newsbeat and 1Xtra News

Comment

Dave, can you tell us when/if this article is likely to be broadcast? I know many members would be interested ti listen to it.

Saffron

Comment

Saffron, he did mention it was for next Thursday, 8th July. Newsbeat is usually 12.45pm and 5.45pm.

Comment

That's right LS - it's to coincide with a debate expected in the Commons on Thursday about the issue of defendant anonymity.

Though if I can't get the contacts I need in time I may need to hold it for the next time it's in the news.

I'll try to remember to post when it's about to go to air.

Many thanks,

Dave

Comment

Come on guys, someone here should speak to Dave. I wish I could, but I've been convicted, so it's a different scenario otherwise I'd do it.

Comment

Sorry, I should have been clearer...

I've now found someone who was falsely accused who's willing to speak to me - I'm still looking for some other elements of the story I'm trying to tell.

Thank you for all your help though!

Comment

i just emailed you (as a victim not falsely accused) but obviously meeting an unknown man is not a possibility for me. sorry!
                      "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

Dave, I've just emailed you too, but regarding a more specific aspect of the current legal debate.

Comment

Working...
                        X